Friday, September 16, 2011

Taiwan life officially starts.

That's right, I'm here! Finally - it's been a long time coming.

The internet connection is kind of up and down here, so I'll do my best to make posts. Hopefully when we get our own place we'll get wireless set up (we are currently staying at my second aunt's house - her and her family have so generously opened up their home to us as we get settled). As of right now - the image uploader is having difficulties, so unfortunately, no pictures this time (sad).

So day one (yesterday) was a success. I'll start at the beginning...

It was SOOO hard to say goodbye to my bestie Evan, and to our sweet furballs, Koda and Finny. (Colton was convinced that I wouldn’t get on the plane because it was going to be too hard to say bye to Finny’s sweet face.)

But somehow, I managed, sorta. I may or may not have had some anxiety issues that required some texting and calls (in the middle of the night) to people I knew I could talk my “crazies” to and who prayed over me. It was amazing – God soothed my soul as soon as I got on the plane. Thank you to all who have been our prayer warriors!

EVA air rocks my socks. Period. (If you want more details - guess you'll just have to book a flight and see for yourself - I know of some people currently in Taiwan who would love family and friends to visit haha).

We even got to Taiwan an hour early – I don’t think that’s ever happened before! I got through customs and such just fine, and waited at the airport to be picked up at 5:30 am (Taiwan time of course) by my auntie and Colton. It was SO good to finally hug my hubby, a month+ is waaay too long.

After some maneuvering we got my extremely heavy luggage to fit, and we went straight to second aunt’s house. Once at the apartment, I successfully received my first Taiwan injury – the strap on my camera bag somehow came undone and whipped the end (a big clunky metal thing) straight into my forehead and now I have a nice welt and bruise on my face – looovely haha.
Anyhow, we got breakfast (dan bing – my favorite), and then just sat around and chatted. Then my aunt went to work (most of second aunt’s family were all still zonked – they are late nighters and late risers haha).

The weather is nice and muggy this time of year, and I immediately had to change shirts because I was all sweaty and gross and still felt “travel yucky”. (Thank you Lord for AC in our room – oof.) Colt then had to leave around 11:30, so I proceeded to enjoy some yummy delivered noodle and soup lunch with my second aunt (a total of about $5 for both of our meals combined), and then took a little siesta - I was OUT until I was woken up by the bedroom lights turning on. Couldn’t believe it was already 6:30 pm and colt was off work.

We went to dinner with Thomas and it was delicious – and CHEAP! I loooove Taiwan food. We walked around – went to the night market, my favorite thing! Had one of my fave snacks (tomatoes with hard sugar coating), and found a stand with some delightful milk tea. (As a side note, I need to RE-learn how to dodge traffic and crazy moped drivers - pretty sure Thomas lost some of his toes and he's just too proud to admit it haha.)

We hung out at the house for a bit longer until Pablo got there, and we decided to take a moped adventure and pick up Angela from work. So at 10 pm – we were off. Colton on his “new” moped (aka Duke – thank you Pablo for letting Colton borrow your old scooter), me riding with Thomas, and Pabz on his fancy new motorcycle. We picked up Angela and went off exploring the streets (I was afraid I was going to fly off the back a couple times, but it was a blast) and we stopped at the Chang Kai Shek Memorial and it was SOOO beautiful at night. We walked around and just enjoyed the night – gotta love middle of the night adventures with my cousins – sigh, wonderful.

Then it was home to bed.

Today (day 2) has been way chill (definitely not in regards to temperature though!). I just lounged around and worked on projects for Lindelof Photography, which was quite difficult with the internet connection being spotty (grrr). Had lunch with my aunt again, yummers. When colt got home, we went and got some delightful "bbq on a stick" from a vendor which was of course amazing. Watched some TV and then went and wandered the night market - so fun!

My body and mind are still all sorts of confused - so I'm trying to take it easy. I'm excited to see what's to come - but for now, it's just one day at a time and becoming accustomed to life in Taiwan. I hope that tomorrow night (Saturday) a bunch of the family will be able to go out to dinner so I can see everyone and pass out long overdue hugs and kisses! Then the most important decision: do we stay up until 3:30 am Sunday to watch the Huskies game, or try to go to bed early on Saturday night and set our alarms for 3:30 am (at this moment, anything with 3:30 am in it sounds bonkers, but no way am i gonna miss the Husky game!)

I'm pooped - Grey's Anatomy is going into my laptop and i'm gonna lay here in front of the fan and AC and think about how blessed I am :o).

Miss you all.
Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment