Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The beginning of an adventure...

Let the countdown begin (yowza!)...

Colton is flying out on August 11th, and I'm looking to book my flight for the second week in September. I can't believe it's happening! We have wanted to move to Taiwan for years and years. This has always been a dream - and now we are just a month or so away! Pinch me.

Let's review how we got to this point:
1. Wanted to since forever
2. Colton had a sudden urge, and once he gets something into his head, it's impossible to argue
3. We were making offers on houses but nothing was going through, and we realized this could be our last chance to take the leap before we were committed to something that tied us down
4. We were ready for a change
5. God had His hand on this decision - everything fell into place
6. We've always played it safe - and in this economy, the safe thing would not be to give up on a great job, decide not to buy a house in this buyers market, and spending savings to move overseas. But I know that money can be made and a house will come along - more than regretting any of those, I know that I'd look back and regret that we didn't take the opportunity while we had it. No house, no kids...this is the time. (And let's be honest - not playing it "safe" doesn't mean I can't plan almost every detail...right? haha I'm sorry! I have a problem!)

So here we are, packing up our things, making to-do lists (ok, that's just me), learning Chinese (that's just Mr. Colton) and taking a chance.

The hardest part is saying our goodbyes. (Going away party is on July 30th at our house in Bothell - so get your booties here!) Not only are we leaving our sweet family and amazing friends, but we have made the tough decision to leave Finnigan boy here. There were a lot of complications that led us to this conclusion, but his quality of life will be a million times better staying here - and he gets to live with his favorite uncle Evie and bff Koda girl at the Park! So although it's sad and I'll probably miss him every day, Finny will be happily chasing/protecting chickens and tackling Koda.

So let's see, what else? Oh, plans - Colton will be teaching English (more details to come on his blog I'm sure) and I will be focusing on photography and spending time with my sweet family over there. We don't know where we will be living quite yet - depends on the job that Coltie lands. We are looking at Taipei or Hsin Chu.

We will be getting an apartment once a job is lined up - and you all better start saving money and vacation days because we'll have a super comfy air mattress all ready for our guests! (Seriously, when else are you going to get to visit Taiwan?) In case visiting your favorite people isn't enough - check out this article/slideshow here.

Some of the things I'm most looking forward to:
- spending time with my relatives who i'm very close with and love dearly
- meeting my first ever "second cousins" on my mom's side (cutest little chinese babies ever)
- going to the night market
- exploring the parts of Taiwan I haven't seen
- documenting everything with my camera
- learning to read and write Chinese
- eating as much lychee as I want
- learning to cook different meals from my sweet Amma (grandma)
- traveling to other parts of Asia
- watching Colton try to blend with the locals (hehe)
...and tons more, but I'm sure there will be plenty of posts to come that document it all.

My goal is to keep this blog completely up-to-date, and I also plan on doing "a picture a day". I'm going to try to post one picture per day for 365 days straight - images that capture our time in Taiwan, or a small detail, or something/someone special.

I hope you will all follow my blog (and Colton's, I will share it when his is all set up). We have very different ways of looking at things sometimes, and we both definitely have our own voice and opinion - so my hope is you'll get an interesting glimpse of our lives in Taiwan.

We will be on Facebook and Skype while over there, so plenty of options to stay in touch, but with the time difference, it can sometimes be difficult. (Add 15 hours to our time here in Seattle, and voila, you've got Taiwan time.) So hopefully our blogs will keep us all connected, and ideally, it'll intrique you enough to come experience a culture completely different.

Love you all, thank you for your support and friendship!

More to come...
jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment